Capability statement - Sinclair Knight Merz
Sinclair Knight Merz (SKM) is one of the leading Australian global professional services consulting firms, and a key provider of Environmental Services to public and private clients. SKM has offices across Australia, New Zealand, Europe, the Middle East, South America and Asia.
SKM is recognised as an industry leader in the sustainable management of water resources and ecology, and has been contributing knowledge, information and decision tools to a number of key projects in Australia and abroad. SKM’s water and environment service focuses on assisting water resource managers to manage aquatic ecosystems in a healthy and sustainable condition through targeted investigations and knowledge gathering. Sinclair Knight Merz has established itself as a reliable and reputable provider of independent scientific advice and is able to design and manage large multi-disciplinary scientific projects nationally and internationally. SKM also has a history of successful collaboration and large project management.
- Project management & delivery
- Communication, community consultation, facilitation and capacity building
- Wetland, waterway and catchment strategic resource planning, policy and management
- and hydraulic services
- Ecological services
- Environmental Planning & Management
- Water engineering
- Disaster Management
- Agricultural and rural development
- Finance and Governance
- Social Development
- Education and Health
Some of our specialised skills include:
- Monitoring and evaluating effectiveness of statutory plans for sustainable management of rivers and aquatic ecosystems;
- Auditing of water resource practices including but not limited to those associated with accounting, allocation, modelling, limits and water delivery;
- Technical expertise in ecology, water quality and salinity;
- Waterways management and water resources compliance and enforcement including: compliance and enforcement systems, policy and practice, with respect to water resource and environmental legislation;
- Diverse spatial information services;
- Socio-economic analysis, decision support and modelling; and
- Climate change and sustainability services.
Contribution to the Healthy Rivers Hub
SKM offer more than multi-disciplinary technical skills – we provide a unique combination that encompasses comprehensive skills and experience in program management, community development, institutional strengthening and capacity building.
As a large consulting company with offices and established networks in the Asia Pacific including Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Pakistan, and Singapore, SKM can provide specialised skills, research capability, advanced project management and in-country implementation of national and international projects.
A participatory approach is an integral part of SKM’s philosophy to our international development cooperation projects. This includes client and community liaison, and representation of stakeholders to ensure effective and inclusive project deliverables and outcomes. This ensures SKM projects have a positive and enduring influence.
We possess over 30 years experience in managing large scale development assistance programs throughout Asia and the Pacific region in the following areas:
- The Coastal Wetlands Protection and Development Project (CWPDP), Vietnam
- Capacity Building Project Training, Ministry of Planning and Finance, East Timor
- The Hikkaduwa Water Treatment Plant, Sri Lanka
- Provincial Towns Water Supply and Sanitation Project, Vietnam
- Tarim Basin Project, China
- Cambodia-Australia Agricultural Extension Project, Cambodia
- Water Supply and Environmental Sanitation Masterplan, India
- Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation in Mekong Delta Mekong region
- Clean Waterways Program, Sydney NSW, Australia
- Pimpama Coomera Waterfuture Master Plan, QLD, Australia
- Reef Protection Package: design of systems, QLD, Australia
Others not listed include our contribution to the earthquake and tsunami response in conjunction with Engineers Without Boundaries, ADB, World Vision as well as the state and federal government. In this partnership we contributed project management, spatial and environmental planning support as well as assessment for water and sanitation needs and infrastructure and construction support.